Monday, July 13, 2009

Wisconsin Stalking Laws


ABUSE SIGHTINGS

Addressing Stalking
What do I do if I am being stalked?

By Cokeley Goerin with Gay Sourling

Whoever meets certain criteria is guilty of a Class I Felony for stalking in most states:

The Predator intentionally engages in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person under the same circumstances to fear bodily injury to or the death of himself or herself or a member of his or her family or household.

Examples of Stalking

Cyber stalking: emails, chat rooms, instant messengers, cell phones and pagers. Following a person, watching a person from afar, continuous phone calls, delivering something to a person's residence, place of work, having other people make contact.

For more information: http://www.uwstout.edu/cvpp/stalking.html

Create a Plan

Report the stalking behavior immediately
Make a stalking safety plan
Let people around you know what is going on, including your professionals
Vary your route, leave work and home at varying times
Go places with others
Collect evidence (keep emails, phone messages, letters etc)
Keep a detailed journal of the stalking behavior


© 2009 Cokeley Jessica Goerin